- Sponge cake recipe
Victoria Sponge Cake Recipe
Simple to make, our traditional Victoria sponge cake recipe is a great starting point for beginner bakers and a firm favourite with old hands pursuing that perfect melt in the mouth moment.
Ingredients for the sponge
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self raising flour
- 200g softened butter
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 4 medium eggs
Ingredients for the filling
- 100g softened butter
- 140g sifted icing sugar
- 340g strawberry jam
- Plus icing sugar for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/Gas Mark 5. Grease two 20cm (8 inch) sandwich tins or line them with greaseproof paper.
- Use a large bowl to beat all the cake ingredients together to create a smooth batter.
- Divide equally between the preared tins, smoothing the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden in colour and springy to the touch.
- Carefully turn the sponges out onto a wire rack to cool fully before adding the filling.
- Beat the butter until it's fluffy and pale in colour, then beat in the icing sugar evenly.
- Spread the bottom of one sponge with the butter cream, and the bottom of the other sponge with your jam. Place the sponges together - filling to filling.
- Dust the surface with icing sugar to finish, and if you're not going to eat it right away store in an airtight container and enjoy within two days.