- Made to Measure Curtains Buying Guide
Made to Measure Curtains from Dunelm Mill
At Dunelm Mill, we know our customers love to add a touch of personality and individuality to their homes, which is why our custom made service is so popular. Known for our stunning range of fabrics and flawless attention to detail, we possess a huge assortment of designs for you to choose from – including ready made curtains , blackout curtains and a beautiful range of curtain poles and tracks. Simply follow these 4 simple steps and your made to measure order will arrive at your home within 14 working days.
Step 1: Choose your Fabric
Getting the colour right is key to perfecting the look of any room. With 100s of designs to choose from we start our made to measure process with simple colour groups to help you find the ideal colour palette to match your decor.
Step 2: Enter your Measurements
How to Measure for Curtains
Dunelm Mill made to measure curtains are sold in pairs and the size given refers to each individual curtain. So if you buy a pair of curtains measuring 117cm x 137cm (46" x 54") you are buying two curtains and each one will measure width 117cm x length 137cm (width 46" x length 54"). This is the standard way of selling curtains.
- For greater accuracy use a metal tape
- Measure the pole, rather than the window, to ascertain the width needed. We offer a wide range of curtains tracks and poles. It is best to fit this before taking your measurements.
- Your track or pole should be placed approximately 15cm (6") above your window top and should be wider than your window by approximately 15-20cm (6-8").
- To allow your curtains to create that soft gathered look when they are closed: allow 2 times the width of the curtain track or pole for tape top curtains, allow 1.5 to 2 times the width of the curtain for eyelet and tab top curtains, add an extra 2.5cm (1") to your track/pole measurement. This will allow for your curtains to overlap in the middle when they are closed to keep out light or draught.
- Decide on the effect you want, either floor length or sill length. Ideally sill length curtains should finish 15cm (6") below the window sill to banish light and draughts. Floor length curtains should finish 1.5cm (1/2") above the floor to prevent wear on the hems
- For tape top curtains measure the length from the eye of the curtain hook on your track or pole. Remember to take the length of the tabs into consideration when measuring from the pole, ensuring your pole sits far enough above the window to allow for the depth of the tab
- Eyelet curtains are only suitable for curtain poles. Again measure the length from the pole.
- If you have a radiator below the window your curtains should finish 3cm (1 1/2") above it so as not to restrict the heat coming into the room
Step 3: Accessorise with optional extras
Blackout Curtain Linings
Ideal for children's bedrooms and daytime sleepers, these linings block out the daylight.
Thermal Curtain Linings
A thermal coating provides maximum heat insulation to keep your room cool in summer and warm in winter
Our made to measure curtains come with pencil pleat as standard, but you can select from a wide range of heading options to create a different look. Some curtain headings are only suitable for poles, whilst others work with poles with rings or curtain tracks, so it's important to consider how you will be hanging your curtains before ordering.
Curtain Headings for Tracks & Poles
Pencil Pleat Heading
Simple and versatile, this option comes as standard.
The 3 hook positions allow you to hang it from a track or pole and gather to suit. Choose heading depths of 2.5cm (1") or 7.5cm (3").
Pinch Pleat Heading
This decorative heading allows the fabric to fall in deep folds, and when open, takes more space than pencil pleat, so creates a smart formality that suits classic interiors. Pleats are not sewn in but are formed by pulling cords in the tape using a special hook. Heading depth 7.5cm (3").
Curtain Headings for Poles Only
Slotted Pocket Heading
Created with a pocket of material that simply slides on to a pole for a clean look. The pockets are made to your measurements and designed to create a casual, relaxed mood. Heading depth is available in a choice of 2.5cm (1"), 5cm (2") and 7.5cm (3").
Perfect to make a great decorative feature in any room, eyelet top curtains are easy to open and close and slip straight on to a pole, falling in soft, gentle folds. Eyelets are 4cm in diameter and available in chrome, brass, antique brass, antique copper and gun metal.
Tab Top Heading
Striking tabs simply loop over the pole allowing the curtain to hang. They are excellent if you want to make a feature of your pole. Make sure you position your pole to suit a heading depth 10cm (4").
For the perfect finish, complete the look of your room by adding our plain or decorated tiebacks to keep your new made to measure curtains tidy and allow in maximum light from your window when open. Choose from a variety of different sizes to suit the size and number of widths in your made to measure curtains.
Swags and Tails
Swags and tails are decorative pleated arrangement of fabric to create a formal look in any room. Please note that our swags and tails are only suitable for use on a wooden baton. Tails can be lined with any contrasting fabric for maximum effect and are 92cm (36") deep. Swags are lined with our easy care polycotton lining for a perfect drape and made to a standard size of 60cm (24") wide and 38cm (14") deep.
For a decorative trim that is less formal than swags and tails you may want to enhance your curtain top with our straight valances. These also disguise the presence of a curtain track and come fully lined with our easy care polycotton lining and have a standard drop of 25cm (10").
Why not add some matching cushion covers to create a really pulled together look throughout your interior? We can make a huge variety of cushion styles including plain, piped, frilled edge or tasselled from our wide range of curtain fabrics.
Step 4: Caring for your Curtains
- All of our curtains should be cleaned and cared for according to their specific care instructions. You can find detailed care instructions on the packaging or sewn in to the labels of the product
- Creases may occur from curtains being packed. These should fall out after hanging in a warm room
- Apart from velvet, most curtains may be ironed with a warm dry iron on the reverse side
- When ironing, make sure you avoid the hem at the bottom and on the sides
- Velvet flattens but should regain volume once hung. Brush upwards to take all pile the same way
- Never iron or machine wash velvet curtains; always dry clean in accordance with care instructions
- Tiebacks should be cared for using the same care instructions and at the same time as your curtains
- Cleaning a curtain track with household detergent from time to time will help ease the glide of your curtains
Dunelm Made to Measure Terms and Conditions
In addition to our standard Terms and Conditions, our made to measure products are covered by the following terms:
1) Please check your measurements to ensure you order the correct size. Please read our Buying Guide for Made to Measure (above) for assistance in measuring correctly.
2) We strongly recommend ordering a free fabric sample to ensure colour and texture accuracy. Colour cannot always be truly represented due to variations in PC monitors.
3) After placing your initial made to measure order with us, you have a 48 hour 'cooling off' period. During this time your order will not be processed and you may cancel your order by calling our customer hotline 0845 1 65 65 65.
4) After the 48 hour 'cooling off' period, we will begin to make up your order and in the event of any cancellation 50% of the total value of the order will be charged to cover our costs.
5) Products are all made to measure , so can only be returned if faulty or not made to the specification given.
6) Please note shades may vary due to different dye batches.
7) We do not guarantee a pattern match on checks and woven fabrics.
8) A perfect match on seams on some fabrics cannot be guaranteed