- Ginger breadmen recipe
10-15 minutes preparation
12-15 minutes baking
Makes 20 (depending on the size of your cookie cutters)
Gingerbread people make the perfect houseguests and our recipe for these golden hued delights will make your family smile from ear to ear.
Baking out simple gingerbread man recipe is enjoyable in itself, but it's the decorating that makes these miniature gingerbread people a standout family favourite. Make their outfits seasonal (swimming trunks & bikinis for summer, Santa for Christmas) or challenge the kids to capture the whole family in coloured icing and sprinkles.
Our gingerbread man recipe makes a great rainy day activity for little kitchen helpers, with a tasty outcome whatever the weather!
- 350g plain flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 125g butter
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175g brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 4 dessert spoons golden syrup
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a large mixing bowl.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips (this is a great time to get your little helpers involved) and then add the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add this with the golden syrup to the dry mixture. Mix well, kneading the dough briefly until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3, and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Roll out onto a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 0.5cm/ ¼ inch and use the cutters to create your gingerbread people.
- Place carefully onto the baking trays leaving space between the biscuits to allow them to expand slightly.
- Place in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown, checking their progress after 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully place your gingerbread people onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once they have cooled completely, give them a little personality by decorating them with icing faces and outfits.