- Cranberry and apple chutney
1hr cooking time
Makes 4 x 500g jars
Stores for up to 6 months
Sweet and tangy chutney, made with apples, cranberries and onions, it is a sure crowd pleaser.
It goes great with turkey and hams, whether you are making it to accompany your own Christmas dinner or as a nice thoughtful gift for someone else.
- 1kg cooking apples, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 500g eating apples, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 450g onions, sliced
- 50g fresh root ginger finely chopped
- 1tsp peppercorns
- 500g granulated sugar
- 250ml cider vinegar
- 500g cranberries
- Put all the ingredients in a large pan apart from the cranberries and cook over a low heat, mixing well to dissolve the sugar.
- Boil the mixture, then lower the heat and simmer without a lid for 50 minutes to an hour ensuring to stir well so that the chutney thickens.
- Pour in all the cranberries and simmer for 10 minutes but ensure that the cranberries do not split, Put the chutney into sterilised jars straight from the pan and seal. Store in a cool, dark place.