- Bedspreads Buying Guide
Bedspreads buying guide
Bedspreads are a great addition to any bedroom in Britain. What with the weather tending to favour the cold and rain the need to stay warm indoors becomes increasingly important. A bedspread is perhaps best described as a middle ground between a blanket and a duvet. It is characterised by its duvet type weaves and padded material but functions much like a blanket, providing an extra layer of warmth when the weather turns chilly.
There are several things to consider when purchasing bed linen, one of the main aspects being thread count. The term thread count is related to the quantity of threads present in a square inch of fabric. As a general rule, the higher the thread count number the finer and smoother the fabric’s texture will feel.
As a general marker, the most popular of cotton fabrics will be approximately 100 thread count, while superior sheets will often start in the region of 200 thread count. Any bed linen above 200 thread count brings you a more luxurious quality such as our exclusive Hotel Bed Linen Collection, which possesses a superior rating of 400 thread count for absolute comfort.
There are several things to consider to ensure that you purchase the perfect bedspread.
- The first aspect would be size. It is important to accurately measure your bed so that you can choose the correct size from our extensive bedspread range. It is also worth considering the finished look of your bedspread, if you would like your bedspread to cascade down the sides of your bed then it is recommended that you choose a slightly larger sized bedspread to the measurement of you bed. This will ensure that luxurious look of fabric elegantly flowing down the sides of your bed.
- The weight of your bedspread will ensure that it remains in position even if you select a larger sized fabric.
- Colour is also of vital importance. Here at Dunelm Mill we offer a range of bedspreads to complement our beautiful bedding collection. However, it is also quite popular to have a strong plain coloured bedspread to pull together colours from a floral or patterned duvet cover.
- Sateen bed linen is usuall-duvetcoversy made of 100% cotton with an additional sheen creating a lustrous surface with a soft feel, the perfect material for a quality night’s sleep. The material’s sheen is created by using a product specific weaving method. Sateen fabric has a lot to offer with its wide range of colours and patterns, however it is often considered to be a less hardwearing fabric than other materials such as Percale. The reason for this is the softness and silkiness of the product often means that the cleaning process needs to be slightly gentler than that of other more durable fabrics.
- This type of textile manufacturing was created in order to create a range of complex patterns such as damask. Jacquard bed linen is characterised by a raised design or pattern which is woven into the fabric. It is important to note that here at Dunelm Mill we don’t measure our jacquard fabric with a thread count as this could be under or overstated dependant on different parts of the design. This style of bed linen is often found in traditional and classic bedrooms. The intricate patterns are neatly woven into the fabric emitting a remarkable regal high sheen. Luxurious detail can then be added around the edges of the material to perfect the overall-duvetcovers classic look of the product.
- The Damask fabric process is commonly used to create single coloured silk weave which feature specific patterns or designs. The damask fabric is unique. A key element to this fabric is that it creates a light reflected weave that changes colour and brightness depending on how the light hits the product. This type of textile weave is also common in household items such as tablecloths due to the unique and high quality characteristics of the material. This type of textile is very popular today and is another example of a woven fabric that has stood the test of time. Damask cloth was first introduced to France in the mid 14th century and has been used to make bed linen sets throughout Europe ever since.
- Flannel is often made from cotton, synthetic fibre or wool and is characterised by its soft woven fabric. There are 3 main types of flannel available on the market, the main one being flannelette which is traditionall-duvetcoversy composed of cotton weaves. Other types of flannel fabric include cotton flannel and diaper flannel. all-duvetcovers 3 types of flannel fabric are weaved in either a twill or plain format and are available in an array of colours and patterns. Our beautiful range of flannelette bed linen is made from 100% cotton with a slightly plumper and fluffier appearance than other fabrics. This cosy fabric is very practical as it acts as a form of insulation keeping you warmer on cooler nights.
- The name of this material is based on the fabric’s place of origin, Jersey in the Channel Islands. Jersey material is a woven fabric that was traditionall-duvetcoversy made from wool. Currently, it is more common to get fabrics that are made from a mixture of textiles such as cotton, synthetic fibres and wool. This fabric is an ideal choice for nursery bedding as it is extremely supple, soft and absorbent cotton. Also, the loose knit fabric style of the material will ensure that your child stays at the perfect temperature whilst also looking very stylish in the nursery.
- Bedspreads are similar to duvets in many ways. The basic connection being the principal function of a bedspread is to add an extra layer of warmth to your bed. The bedspread also shares key characteristics with blankets or throws as they not only provide warmth but they also act as a fashion accessory bring a splash of colour and texture to your room.
Fitted cot sheets have elastic corners to fit snugly over your cot mattress. They are quick and easy to fit and won’t become ruffled easily. Here at Dunelm Mill our beautiful nursery bedding range is available in comfortable jersey or cosy flannelette.
Here at Dunelm Mill we pride ourselves on the quality and ease of use of our Children’s bedding collection. We understand that when it comes to children’s bed linen durability is a key aspect and that is why our products are machine washable. Our range of children's bedding is available in a range of vibrant colours and fun designs. We have tailor-made our children’s bedding designs to complement our extensive range of curtains, rugs and accessories, making their room a special place of their own.
Bedspreads are often considered to be the perfect complementary product to your bedlinen set. Creating the perfect haven of relaxation is important if you crave a sense of tranquility in your bedroom therefore, choosing the perfect bedspread is vital.
All Dunelm Mill bed linen and duvet covers come complete with care instructions and we recommend you wash your bedding once a week following the manufacturer’s instructions on washing, drying and ironing. These instructions may be found on the packaging or on labels sewn into the inside seam of each individual item.